- February 2-4, 2023: WISE Conference titled Enhancing Intercultural Learning at Home and Abroad (Wake Forest, NC, USA). Global Up team is presenting the session on “Student Learning Outcomes on Global Competence.” Find out more.
- March 13-17, 2023: APAIE Conference titled Towards a sustainable future for international education in the Asia Pacific (Bangkok, Thailand). Global Up team is leading a workshop on “Seeing Beyond ‘Us vs Them’: Building an Inclusive Educational Institution.” Find out more.
- March 14-15, 2023: Forum on Education Abroad’s 19th Annual Conference titled Themeless in Seattle (Seattle, WA, USA). Global Up team is participating in a virtual panel session on “Sustainability at the Center: On the Ground, Hybrid & Virtual EA Programs.” Find out more.
- May 28-June 1, 2023: NAFSA 2023 Annual Conference & Expo (Washington DC, USA). Find out more.
Events & Webinars
Meet us at these events and join our interactive webinars to get new perspectives from industry leaders
Meet us at these upcoming events in 2023:
Attending NAFSA, World’s Largest Conference For International Educators
Thousands of higher education institutions from around the world gathered at the NAFSA Annual Conference in Denver, Colorado in the beginning of June. Among them was our Global Up Team (Linda Stuart, Molly Stern, Anais Chauvet, and Andres Lanza) to represent AFS and our approach to global competence development and global citizenship. These are some of the highlight from our booth at this year’s NAFSA:
- Universities and educational institutions are interested in Global Up programs because developing global competence has become a MUST for study abroad students but also for students across all fields who aren’t going to study abroad.
- AFS co-hosted the Rainbow Reception, which had more than 600 attendees celebrate LGBTQI+ Pride in international education.
- NAFSA was a great opportunity to celebrate our 2+ year partnership with Education New Zealand in person. This partnership is now shortlisted for two PIEoneer Awards.
- Our booth was a welcoming space for more than 150 conversations with NAFSA participants over four days, and the announcement of our special Prize winner.
- We reconnected with numerous AFS Alumni, who credit the beginnings of their interest in international education to their early AFS experiences.
Watch Our Webinar Recordings
International Education Week 2022
International Education Week (IEW) is an opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. To mark this occasion, AFS organized a series of webinars on topics ranging from intercultural and global competence pedagogy and assessment, virtual exchange, diversity, equity and inclusion, to international and teacher education. Watch the recordings of all webinars in the playlist above.
Polytechnic and Engineering Education Abroad
Future practicing engineers need to be supported through educational systems that teach them not only technical skills, but professional skills such as awareness of social and cultural implications of their designs, understanding and appreciation of diversity, and additional skills in project management, collaboration, and effective communication. These cross-cultural programs are an example of an innovation in engineering abroad education.
How to Global Up Your Education Institution
The use of technology and online learning for education at all levels has accelerated beyond what many institutions had prepared or planned for. Watch this session presented at the APAIE 2022 Conference about how we met this pandemic challenge and how we’re continuing to global up for the uncertain, emerging future. The session is delivered by AFS Intercultural Programs, Education New Zealand (EZN) and Massey University.
Weaving Global Competence into Law and Business Education
Two dynamic experts make the case for global competence as an essential component of education. They showcase how they’ve taken the lead to prepare their students to be effective lawyers and business professionals in their fields, while making a meaningful difference in the world. The panelists were Professor Carl Warren from the University of St. Thomas School of Law directs the Community Justice Project, and Dr. Jennifer Teague is Program Lead for Global Business and the School of Business’ Education Abroad programs at Purdue University Global.
New Virtual Education Programs Launch: Global Up Abroad & Global Up Educator
Presenting the newly upgraded version of the Global Up Abroad, for students to reflect on themselves as cultural beings before departing, see themselves in new contexts during, and reflect on their growth and new lifelong skills upon returning home. We also showcased Global Up Educator, a new version applicable for both in-service and preservice teachers. Find out why global competence is so important for those who are working with K-12 students around the world and how we’re building that into our outreach efforts.
How to Global Up Your Institution: Industry Leaders Share Their Perspectives
Are you committed to global-readying your institution? Curious about different approaches and how to implement global competence development for your students, faculty & staff? Hear different perspectives and implementation approaches from a panel of leading government agents, NGO, and higher ed institutional leaders. These partners have all institutionalized the AFS Global Up.