Each individual participant taking part in the AFS Global Up Programs (“Participant” or “you”) shall be bound by these Terms and Conditions (“Terms”), and these Terms shall form the agreement between AFS Intercultural Programs, Inc. (“AFS”) and each individual Participant.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS CAREFULLY BEFORE REGISTERING FOR THE GLOBAL UP PROGRAMS. By registering for one of the Global Up Programs, you agree to these Terms. If you do not agree to these Terms you may not participate in the Global Up Programs and you cannot access the platform used by AFS to deliver the Global Up Programs.
AFS reserves the right to modify the content of the Global Up Programs offered and information as listed in the Global Up website/s without prior notice.
Participants must be at least 18 years old at the time their Global Up Program starts. The Global Up Programs and access to the platform used by AFS to deliver these Programs is available only to individuals who are at least 18 years old, respectively. All Participants represent and warrant that they comply with this age requirement. Participants also represent and warrant that they are of legal age to agree to these Terms, and that all registration information they submit is accurate and truthful. AFS may, in its sole discretion, refuse to offer the Global Up Program services to any person and change its eligibility criteria at any time. This provision is void where prohibited by law and the right to access the Global Up Programs is revoked in such jurisdictions.
1. THE GLOBAL UP PROGRAMS
The Global Up Program provides Participants:
- Access to up to 20 online modules of educational content (approximately 10 to 15 hours of learning) on the Global Up Program online platform for up to 6 weeks, starting according to the calendar slot applicable to you.
- Access to an online community forum exclusively for Global Up Program Participants and official AFS representatives.
- Invitations to attend facilitated live online learning reflection and sharing sessions with peers and a Global Up Program facilitator.
- An AFS Global Up certificate, upon completion of all modules and activities in the online learning platform. AFS shall have sole discretion to set and/or amend the requirements for certification.
Subject to full compliance with these Terms, Participant is granted access to the relevant Global Up Program materials for personal, non-commercial use only. Under this license, Participant may not: modify the Global Up Program materials; use the Global Up Program materials for any commercial purpose; remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or transfer the materials to another person or entity. This license shall automatically terminate if Participant violates any of these restrictions or any other provisions of these Terms, and may be terminated by AFS at any time.
Acceptance to the Global Programs is done on a rolling basis by AFS staff or AFS’s officially designated representatives.
AFS reserves the right to reject an applicant if the application requirements are not met or if program offering is not available for any reason. AFS encourages applicants to apply as early as possible to ensure a spot on their desired Global Up Program. In cases where AFS receives applications in excess of capacity, AFS will create a waitlist of applicants based on the date and time that the complete application was received. Incomplete applications will not be considered. AFS does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, marital status, national and ethnic origin, or disability.
3. PROGRAM CANCELLATION BY AFS BEFORE PROGRAM START
AFS reserves the right to cancel the Global Up Programs due to insufficient enrollment or other factors beyond its control. All Global Up Programs are based on group arrangements involving a minimum number of participants. In the unlikely event that a program is canceled prior to the start of the program, due to low enrollment or any other reason, AFS will refund all payments received but will have no further liability or obligation to the prospective Participants. If circumstances beyond AFS’ control require that a Global Up Program be canceled following the Program start date and prior to the end of a Global Up Program term, AFS will make reasonable efforts to make alternative arrangements in order to allow Participants to complete the Global Up Program, however no monetary refund will be available.
4. PAYMENT TERMS
Spaces for the Global Up Programs are limited. Registrations will be open on a “first come, first served” basis and based on Global Up Programs eligibility. A completed registration form and payment of the tuition fee (the “Fee”) are required in order to enroll in a Global Up Program. The Fee is non-refundable and non-transferable for accepted registrants, except as provided herein.
The Global Up Programs run on the dates available on the Global Up Programs registration form: https://afs.typeform.com/to/py1Gq2sy (the calendar will be updated on an ongoing basis as more dates become available). AFS may update the Fee from time to time. The Fee applicable to each Participant at any given time is the fee shown in the online payment page at the time the Participant completes an application and is requested to complete online payment to enroll in the selected Program. Applicable taxes in the local country of Participant, if any, will be the responsibility of Participant.
The submission of the registration form does not automatically guarantee acceptance. Any payment made by a registrant who is not accepted will be returned. The eligibility requirements include:
- Be at least 18 years old at the time the relevant Global Up Program starts.
- Have interest in cultural differences, global affairs, sustainable development, and youth issues.
- Have proficiency in English (ability to read written content including videos subtitled in English, comment in forums, and understand the live sessions).
- Access a computer, smartphone or other digital device with an integrated webcam and mic plus a stable internet (wifi) connection for taking part in the online live sessions and to access the Program content and forum.
No registration will be confirmed without receiving the program payment at least 24 hours before the Global Up Program starts.
5. CANCELLATION BY PARTICIPANT
The Fee is due at least 24 hours before the Global Up Program starts. Global Up Programs are non-transferable to another Global Up Program applicant under any circumstances. Once the Participant submits the registration forms and pays the Fee, AFS reviews, processes, and administers those registrations. Once accepted by AFS for a Global Up Program, Participants will be issued an admission confirmation. Once the admission confirmation has been issued by AFS the Fee is non-refundable and Participants may not request a refund or credit, or dispute the Fee charges.
6. CANCELLATION BY AFS
AFS reserves the right to cancel any Global Up Program for any reason and at any time, in which case a Fee refund will be provided to the affected Participant/s to the extent of payment received by AFS. In the event that AFS has to cancel a Global Up Program after it starts, because of circumstances reasonably beyond AFS control, no refunds will be due. Circumstances reasonably beyond AFS control (force majeure) may include: acts of God, accident, riots, war, terrorist act, epidemic, pandemic, quarantine, civil commotion, breakdown of communication facilities, breakdown of web host, breakdown of internet service provider, natural catastrophes, governmental acts or omissions, changes in laws or regulations, and national strikes.
Participants are expected to comply with these Terms, which include the Participant Code of Conduct provided below, established by AFS for appropriate use of the Global Up Programs platform. AFS may dismiss without warning from a Global Up Program (and remove access to the Program platform) any Participant who does not comply with the relevant regulations and requirements as outlined in these Terms, including the Participant Code of Conduct. AFS does not grant Fee refunds to Participants who are dismissed from their Programs.
AFS reserves the right to reject a registration that does not meet the eligibility requirements by notifying the registrant by email and issuing a refund in the event that any Fee payment has been already made. AFS can also terminate the participation of any Participant in a Global Up Program if AFS or its authorized agent or representative deems Participant to have failed to comply with the Participant Code of Conduct (see below) or otherwise engaged in conduct that is detrimental to the Global Up Programs, other Participants, or to the reputation of AFS itself. AFS shall have no responsibility for any expense incurred by any such Participant in connection with their Global Up Program participation. All consequential costs of Participant expulsion shall be borne by the Participant without recourse to refund of unused Program benefits.
AFS, at its discretion, may monitor the content of any Global Up Program forums to determine compliance with these Terms, including the Participant Code of Conduct, and to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, or authorized government request. AFS shall also have the right to remove any forum posts or other materials that AFS, in its sole discretion, finds to be in violation of the provisions hereof or otherwise objectionable.
9. MODIFICATION OF TERMS
AFS may amend these Terms at any point with or without notice to Participants. The Terms posted at any given time are the Terms applicable to the Global Up Programs. It is your responsibility to check these Terms periodically for changes. Your continued use of a Global Up Program means that you accept and agree to the changes.
AFS shall not be responsible for any damage to Participant caused by use of third party service providers that may be accessible in the Global Up Program platform. AFS uses a third party provider for the online platform where the Global Up Programs content is delivered. When accessing such platform Participant will accept the applicable terms as displayed in the platform.
12. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE STATED HEREIN, AND TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY THE LAW, NEITHER AFS NOR ITS THIRD PARTY LICENSORS MAKE ANY WARRANTIES OR PROMISES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, OR BY STATUTE, COMMON LAW, CUSTOM, USAGE OR OTHERWISE, ABOUT THE GLOBAL UP PROGRAMS, THE EMBEDDED SOFTWARE OR ANY SERVICES PROVIDED HEREUNDER, AND PROVIDE THE GLOBAL UP PROGRAMS AND SUPPORT SERVICES (IF ANY) “AS-IS” WITH ALL FAULTS AND THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE SATISFACTORY QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY, AND EFFORT OF THE GY PROGRAMS (IF ANY) SHALL BE WITH THE PARTICIPANT. AFS AND ITS THIRD PARTY LICENSORS DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE GLOBAL UP PROGRAMS, THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE AND ANY SERVICES PROVIDED HEREUNDER, INCLUDING ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, OR THAT PARTICIPANT’S USE OF THE GY PROGRAMS WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, VIRUS-FREE, OR ERROR-FREE. PARTICIPANT ACKNOWLEDGES THAT NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES ARE MADE BY ANY THIRD PARTY LICENSORS HEREIN.
13. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY
IN NO EVENT WILL AFS OR ITS THIRD PARTY LICENSORS OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY BE LIABLE TO PARTICIPANT FOR (A) ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY LOSSES RELATING TO PARTICIPANT, SUCH AS LOST DATA, LOST PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, OR LOST SAVINGS, EVEN IF AFS OR ITS THIRD PARTY LICENSORS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, OR (B) ANY CLAIM BY ANY THIRD PARTY. SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY. IF PARTICIPANT COULD HAVE AVOIDED DAMAGES BY TAKING REASONABLE CARE, NEITHER AFS NOR ITS THIRD PARTY LICENSORS WILL BE LIABLE FOR SUCH LOSSES. IN NO EVENT SHALL AFS OR ITS THIRD PARTY LICENSORS’ TOTAL LIABILITY FOR ALL DAMAGES (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) EXCEED THE FEE FOR THE GLOBAL UP PROGRAM.
In the event that the learning management system platform, video conference platform, activities, or any other parts or all of the Global Up Programs are changed, delayed, postponed, canceled or otherwise not provided, AFS reserves the right to provide such substitutions or supplementary services as can be secured or provided. If AFS determines that no such alternatives are available, AFS shall refund to Participant whatever amount that AFS is able to obtain a refund from the service provider for the lost services, less any out of pocket expenses paid by or to be paid by AFS.
15. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
The materials contained in the Global Up Programs are protected by applicable copyright and trademark law and other applicable proprietary rights and laws. AFS owns all rights, including, but not limited to, all copyright rights, trademarks, and any other intellectual property rights in and to the Global Up Program materials or it has secured the required license to use third party materials.
In connection with the Global Up Programs and the conduct thereof, Participant agrees to indemnify and hold AFS, and its agents, officers, employees, volunteers, and directors harmless from and against any and all loss, liability, claim, suit or demand, including reasonable attorney’s fees arising therefrom, which may be asserted against AFS by any person or organization on account of the Participant’s involvement with the Global Up Programs, except if such loss, liability, claim, suit or demand is based on AFS’s willful misconduct and/or gross negligence.
17. CHOICE OF LAW
This Agreement and its performance shall be governed by and in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, exclusive of any choice of law rules, and that law shall be applicable to the merits of any dispute between the parties.
All disputes arising in connection with this Agreement shall be settled under the Rules of the American Arbitration Association. The place of arbitration shall be in New York City. The arbitration shall be conducted in English. No consequential, punitive or incidental damages shall be awarded to the parties by the members of any arbitration tribunal hearing a case in respect to this Agreement.
Last Updated: August 10, 2022
AFS Global Up
PROGRAMS OF AFS INTERCULTURAL PROGRAMS, INC.
5 Hanover Sq, Suite 200, New York, NY 10004 USA Tel: +001 212-209-0900
Participant Code of Conduct
This Code of Conduct is designed to permit each Participant or any other user of the Global Up Program online platform or any other AFS online platforms (“Participants” or “you”) to enjoy the experience of sharing with others in accordance with AFS values and mission. It contains a set of guidelines to maintain a welcoming, supportive, engaging, and meaningful experience for all Participants in the AFS Intercultural Programs (AFS) online community. Our online community consists of individuals from different backgrounds and walks of life across the globe, reflecting a richness of cultural, intellectual, and social diversity. Therefore, participants are expected to exhibit good conduct that will inspire public confidence and trust by this community. The following guidelines are established by AFS and apply to all Participants of the AFS online community. Participants’ engagement during all AFS online programs, projects, activities, and events should be conducted in a respectful manner that reflects positively on the AFS online community and the individual at all times.
If you fail to respect these basic rules, AFS at its sole discretion, may remove your comments, and your account may be blocked or deleted with or without warning; you may also be banned from future use of the site.
- AFS online programs connect and bring together people from all different parts of the world and a great variety of cultures and backgrounds. Therefore, it is important that all Participants are respectful to other people’s cultures, traditions, and religious beliefs when communicating online with others including fellow participants, speakers, and AFS staff and team members.
- Participants are encouraged to be thoughtful in what they say, post, share, or comment on any communication platforms. Being mindful of strong language and use of all caps or exclamation points are critical to avoid any forms of misunderstanding. Do not disrupt the normal flow of dialogue or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users’ ability to engage in exchanges.
- Differences in opinion may occur, and thus participants are expected to exhibit open-mindedness, patience, and understanding. Posting, sharing, or commenting inappropriate material that are deemed abusive, hateful, discriminatory, unsafe, sexually inappropriate, offensive, or involve harassment will not be tolerated. Do not post, share, transmit or otherwise make available any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable.
- The online community counts on every Participant to foster genuine interactions and maintain a supportive environment for all. Do not post, share, transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, junk or bulk e-mail (also known as “spam”), or any other form of solicitation. Posting off-topic, unrelated, or spam content are disruptive to discussions and detract from the goal of the community. Any post, link, or shared content that contains disinformation, hoax, or fraudulent information will be removed from the discussion.
- Respect the rights of others. Do not collect personal data about the users of this site or use their information for the purpose of transmitting or facilitating transmission of spam. Don’t identify users or other individuals by tagging or captioning them in photos or videos without their consent.
- AFS online community platforms provide valuable access to knowledge sharing, tools, ideas, and resources from experts, AFS partner organizations, and fellow community members. As such, all participants must follow copyright laws, principles of academic honesty, and cite reputable sources when sharing content with others. Any shared content that involves plagiarism or does not respect intellectual property or copyright laws will be removed. Do not post, share, transmit or otherwise make available any content that you do not have a right to make available, such as content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary right of any party. Do not forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any content transmitted through the site.
- Participants have the ability to connect privately with fellow Participants as well as experts from various organizations across many industries and sectors within the online community. With this access comes the responsibility to interact with each individual with professionalism, respect, appropriateness, and integrity.
- Participants are responsible to protect their personal information, including their password to gain access to the content platform. Sharing of passwords, national identity, social security number, bank or payment information, and other personal and sensitive information within the platform is strictly prohibited.
- Participants are encouraged to report other participants who fail to follow the guidelines set above or engage in unsafe online behavior on AFS platforms by contacting us using the contact methods provided by AFS. Similarly, they should flag inappropriate comments or behaviors on the virtual platforms by emailing [email protected].
- AFS reserves the right to terminate access from any Participant who is reported for disruptive or inappropriate behavior. No refunds will be issued for such terminated Participant.
AFS reserves the right to modify this policy at any time with or without notice.
Last Updated: August 10, 2022